“Whole House In-Situ Carbon & Energy Reduction Solution”
Program Type: ERA-NET Eracobuild, Sustainable Renovation for the construction and operation of buildings- SusRen 2011 joint Call for proposals
Project details: The aim of this project is to scale up the installation of WHISCERS, so as to enable a product to be rolled out in the UK and also in continental Europe. The areas that need to be mass tested are the issues that make WHISCERS unique, namely;
• The mass laser measurement of properties; how many properties can be measured in a day?
• The mass transfer of data to computer; can this be easily managed without, for instance, mixing up data for different sites?
• Rapid data processing; development of computer software to translate survey data into cutting schedules with the inclusion of board optimization.
• The mass off-site cutting of materials; can the computer controlled routing be set up to work at speed?
• The mass labeling up of the cut board; does the labeling of the board work?
• The mass installation of materials; how quickly can the board be installed into a large number of properties?
• Need to ensure that detail is developed for specifying how to install WHISCERS when there are radiators that need moving, or electrical sockets that need extending.
• Generally, need to scale up the installation of Whiscers so that it is a mass market product that can be rolled out across the UK and into mainland Europe.
The key outcome of the project is that it is to be fully tried and tested in a number of properties in the UK and in Europe. Different countries have varying types of house construction, so there is the opportunity to trial WHISCERS installations with these various types of construction. Different detail needs to be developed for each type of wall construction.
The aim of installing internal solid wall insulation is to reduce energy use and thus carbon emissions. It can be used to keep people warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. The UK has a target of cutting carbon dioxide emissions by 34% by 2020 and by 80% by 2050. There is a European target of a 20% reduction in CO2 emissions and a 20% cut in greenhouse gas emissions, linked to a 20% increase in renewable energy.
There are an estimated 7 million solid wall properties in the UK and many millions more in continental Europe. To enable EU and UK CO2 targets to be met clearly needs the productisation of systems to install internal solid wall insulation. The UK is also introducing the Green Deal to fund the easier measures to cut domestic CO2 emissions. WHISCERS can potentially be an effective solution to mass install insulation into a large volume of homes, helping to meet UK and EU targets for CO2 reduction. In the UK we would hope that the system would be included in the Energy Company Obligation part of the Green Deal.
Funding agency: European Commission